Beausoleil First Nation Ontario Works


Beausoleil First Nation Social Services Department administers the Ontario Works program which includes both financial and employment support services to the residents of Beausoleil First Nation.

Financial Assistance - Financial Assistance provides for the purposes of basic needs and shelter.

Employment Assistance - Employment Assistance helps a person to become and stayed employed.

The intent of the Ontario Works program is to help people in temporary financial need find sustainable employment and achieve self-reliance through the delivery of effective, integrated employment services and financial services.

The Beausoleil First Nation Social Services will be a model of its own best practices; systemized, professional, passionate, and effective. It will be distinguished and differentiated by its attitudes, its methods, and the commitment to help Ontario Works participants improve their lives through successful employability.

  • We are dedicated to our clients!
  • We are results oriented in both personal and professional development!
  • We plan, we measure, we report, we take action!
  • We believe what we do is important!

With an open mind to all, we will inspire, coach, guide and support the social assistance participants in the pursuit of personal and occupational growth and freedom.

What is Ontario Works?

Ontario works is a program which provides financial and employment assistance to people in financial need. Everyone has the right to apply for assistance and to have an application taken. Eligibility will depend on the applicants circumstances including the amount of their assets and income. The amount of assistance depends on the family unit size and composition, the applicants needs, and current income. If an application for assistance is denied, the applicant is advised of the decision and the reason for it in writing. The applicant has a right to appeal any decision made that affects their eligibility for, or the amount of their assistance.

Applying for Ontario Works?

The first step of the application process is contacting the office to arrange for an intake. An appointment will be given to the applicant, at the appointment an application will be completed by a Caseworker within the office. The final decision relies with the Administrator.

Your Rights

  1. An interview - Any time that you worker you can bring someone with you. This can be any one you would like to have there.
  2. A Decision in Writing - We will write to tell you of any eligibility or financial decisions we make and the reasons for making them.
  3. A chance to have Decisions Reviewed - If you disagree with a decision that we make, you may make a written request within thirty days to have this decision reviewed by your local office. This internal review must be completed by the local office within ten days. You will be told of the result in writing. You cannot file an appeal with the social Benefits Tribunal unless you have first asked for an internal review. If you disagree with the review decision, you can make an appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal within 30 days of the date of the internal review decision.

Your Responsibilities

  1. You may be required to attend an employment information session.
  2. You may be required to take a literacy screening questionnaire if you have not completed grade 12 or its equivalent. If you provide proof of a learning disorder, you are not required to take the literacy screening questionnaire.
  3. If you are applying to the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) through Ontario Works asset limit & you have not previously used the one-time asset exemption, and then you are required to complete an Agreement to Reimburse. If you are determined to be ineligible for ODSP, you must repay some or all of the assistance that you have received.
  4. You will be required to meet with your worker at least every 3 months to review your participation in employment assistance activities & every 12 months to review your financial information.
  5. Contact your worker promptly if
    • You receive a message that your worker needs to speak to you
    • There are any changes in your circumstances
    • You're planning to leave the province for any period
    • You begin to receive income or your income changes
    • Respond promptly if you receive a request for information or a form to complete.
    • All members of your benefits unit who are 18 years of age and older are required to participate in employment assistance activities including looking for work or better paying work
  6. Respond promptly if you receive a request for information or a form to complete.
  7. All members of your benefits unit who are 18 years of age and older are required to participate in employment assistance activities including looking for work or better paying work.

    Activities that may be approved include:

    Job Skills Training Job Search Support Employment Placement Community Placement
    Basic Education or Literacy Addiction Services Learning, Earning & Parenting Program Independent Job Search
    All members are required to immediately report any changes in their participation.
  8. Keep receipts & statements so your worker can verify your income, expenses & assets. Keep receipts and statements such as:

    Pay Stubs Bank Accounts Income Tax Assessments Hyrdro, water & heating Costs
    Rent or Mortgage Payments Insurance Property Taxes
  9. You and your spouse have an obligation to make reasonable efforts to obtain compensation or realize a financial resource of income that the person in your benefit unit may be entitled to or eligible for. Examples of financial resources include the National Child Supplement & the Ontario Child Benefit and/or Child Support.
  10. Obtain & report all available income that you or a member of your benefit unit is owed or receives, including any earnings, training allowances or other sources of income. Each month, you will receive an income reporting statement that is used to report all changes to your income. If you or any member of your family begins to receive income or your income changes, you must report this income to your worker & the completed statement must be received in your workers office by the due date. Your worker will review your income history regularly. Examples of sources of income include:

    Earnings WSIB Employment Insurance Roomer/Boarder Income
    Money owed to You Interest/Dividends Pensions OSAP
    Insurance/Accident Claims Child Care Income Training Allowance Child/Spousal Support
    Sponsor Payments Inheritance or Lotteries Compensation for victims of crime Self-employment Income
    Sale of Assets Farm Income
  11. Report all your assets. An asset is property of all kinds, including cash or anything that you own that can be converted into cash. Examples of assets include:
    • Life Insurance
    • Collections or valuables
    • Money in bank accounts
    • Vehicles Investments
    • Property or real estate you own
    • RESPs/GIC's/Stocks/Bonds

    Remember to tell your worker immediately if you or anyone in your benefit unit:

    • Borrows money
    • Buys a new asset
    • Opens or closes a bank account
    • Sells or transfers an asset

    The allowable asset limits are set by regulation. Your asset limit is determined by the number of persons in your benefit unit.

  12. Report your living arrangements & any other changes.
  13. Tell your worker immediately if there are changes in your current living arrangements such as:
    • Your address or phone number changes
    • Your rent or other home cost changes
    • Your dependant leaves school, returns to school, starts work, leaves home or returns home
    • The number of people in your benefit unit changes
    • You or a member of your benefit unit leaves Ontario for a period greater than 7 days
  14. You & your spouse are responsible to repay all overpayments you may have. If you leave social assistance, you & your spouse are still required to repay the overpayment.
  15. You & your spouse are responsible to repay any Transition Child Benefit amount that you have received in the event that you receive a retroactive Ontario Child Benefit and/or National Child Benefit Supplement payment that applies to the same month or months.
  16. You are responsible for following the rules of the Ontario Works Program, including honest reporting of all changes in your income, assets & living arrangements.

If any of the above applies to your situation, you may still qualify for assistance it is best to contact our office and speak to a staff member regarding your situation in more depth.

Benefits you may be eligible for?

  • Basic Needs
  • Shelter Allowance
  • Drug Card
  • Employment Related Expenses
  • Employment Start Up Benefits
  • Earning Exemptions after 3 months of continuous eligibility
  • Medical Travel and Transportation Costs
  • Special Diet Allowance
  • Childcare Expenses
  • Community Start Up Benefits


Do I qualify for assistance if:

  • I own my own home?
  • I own a vehicle?
  • I am pending other income such as EI, WSIB, CPP, and ODSP?
  • I have investments such as RRSPs, Canada Savings Bonds?
  • I am working?

You may still be eligible for financial and employment support. Contact your Caseworker or book an intake appointment for further information.

Ontario Works Staff

Social Services Director Paula Jade Sandy 705-247-1180 Ext. 224
Director Asst./Social Services Clerk Fallon Monague 705-247-1180 Ext. 221
OW Caseworker Pauline Copegog 705-247-1180 Ext. 222
Employment Support Worker Denise Assance 705-247-1180 Ext. 228
Employment Support Worker Vacant 705-247-1180 Ext. 226

For additional information on the Ontario Works program and /or for information on future program initiatives please contact the office and speak to one of our staff members.